Considering running for office?
Arizona has statewide and legislative elections every two years (even numbered). All statewide offices have 4 year term limits and legislative offices have 2 year term limits.
Potential candidates should consider the following:
- What office you want to run for, and when it will be up for election.
- What are the eligibility requirements for that office.
- Is the election non-partisan, or are you running with a recognized party, or as an Independent?
- How you will fund your campaign (traditionally or if eligible, clean funding).
- Who is the filing officer, and how to get the proper filing forms:
- Secretary of State = federal, statewide and legislative offices
- County Elections Office = county offices, such as Board of Supervisors and Sheriff
- City Clerk = Mayoral and City Council offices
- School Board = check with your County Elections Office to confirm. The filing officer can sometimes be the County Elections Office or the School Superintendent's Office. This can vary by county.