ABOUT US > Get Involved
Get involved! With Clean Elections, it’s easier than ever!
The Citizens Clean Elections Act was passed by the people of Arizona in 1998 to restore citizen participation and confidence in our political system. The voters wanted to reduce the potentially corrupting influence of money and allow participating candidates to run credible campaigns, while preserving the right of traditional candidates and others to raise and spend campaign dollars as they choose.
The Act allows candidates, running for the Legislature or statewide offices the opportunity to forgo special interest money by collecting a certain number of $5 donations. In return, the candidate will receive full funding for their campaigns.
The Citizens Clean Elections Act opens the door for the citizens of Arizona to become more involved in the political process. Here are a few ways in which you can get involved.
1. Donate $5 to the candidate or candidates of your choice – tell them how you feel about the issues; let them know what is important to you.
2. Volunteer to collect $5 donations – candidates for the legislature must collect a minimum of 250 $5 donations from 250 different people. Help the candidate or candidates that you support by volunteering to collect the donations.
3. Host a $5 party for your candidates – individuals may host parties at their homes for candidates participating in the Clean Elections system. Every adult member of the household may spend up to $100 on food, drinks and invitations and it does not count as a donation.
4. Volunteer to collect petition signatures – candidates must get a certain number of signatures to ensure that they will be on the ballot Decide what works best for you and do it. This is your state. Let your voice be heard!
5. Attend a candidate debate. The Commission hosts legislative debates throughout Arizona. Debate dates and videos are available at www.cleanelections101.com.